OLISA METUH: WHAT HAPPENED IN COURT ON TUESDAY?

The trial of Chief Olisa Metuh, former National Secretary of the Democratic People ‘s Party (PDP), at the Federal High Court in Abuja, was released by the defense attorney to withdraw from the case. case.

Metuh and its company, Dextra Investment Ltd., are sued by the federal government for money laundering and illegal receipt of funds from the National Security Advisor (NAHO) for 400 million naird for an allegedly unenforced contract .

They plead not guilty to the charges, prompting the prosecution to begin the trial.

But the lawsuit of yesterday took a dramatic turn when the lawyer Metuh, dr. Onyechi Ikpeazu SAN and Emeka Etiaba SAN, announced that they had filed a motion to withdraw.

The two lawyers predicted their actions on what they described as:

“Huge pressures on their appearance in the case,” as well as “serious threats” to their lives.

The lawyers, who were not in court yesterday, have put the motion on notice, further cited the daily hearing order of the case, which they said not being able to afford “.

It will be remembered that the hearing on this subject took place last Monday after Etiaba informed the court that it had been summoned by a government agency the same day, forcing the court to suspend its proceedings for yesterday.

However, when the trial resumed yesterday, Metuh’s lawyers were absent and informed the court, Judge Okon Abang, to inquire with Metuh. circumstance.

In response, Metuh, who revealed himself Monday night, recounted how traumatized they were by their experience in the hands of the government agency.

He asks the court to grant an adjournment to allow his consultation.

In the motion, Methew’s lawyers stated that: “The counsel representing the 1st respondent has been under enormous pressure with regard to their appearance in this case, including serious death threats and wants to be unable to continue to represent the first defendant. ”

In an affidavit in support of the motion on notice, dr. Ikpeazu said: “I have mismanaged the file”, “I have received several death threats from different sources through phone calls with disguised numbers,

Ikpeazu thus stated in the affidavit that Emeka Etiaba had informed him that he had received similar threats and that he was no longer proceeding to represent the first defendant. “.

349 (7), (8), supra. of the Law on the Administration of Criminal Justice.

The case was postponed until March 13, 2019.

 

 

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*